The Oxford dictionary defines a loft as traditionally an attic or room over a stable. Art Loft Studio is a small building which sits firmly on the ground and is situated in paradise. It was a haven for another artist before me and was moved to its current location where it now serves as a studio and gallery to welcome visitors.
- National PANZ Exhibition Stratford March 2019
- Mercury Bay Art Escape Coromandel Peninsula 2011 – 2019
- Adams Awards Finalist, New Zealand Portrait Gallery 2010, 2012, 2018
- National PANZ Exhibition Morrinsville 2018
- National PANZ Exhibition Mapua 2016
- National PANZ Exhibition Auckland 2013
- Auckland East Arts Society – Doreen Bawden Portrait Award 2005
- Fishers Fine Arts Auckland 2004
- Upstairs Gallery of Fine Arts Whitianga
- Signal Gallery Waitakere, Auckland
- Mairangi Bay Arts Centre Auckland
- Kings College Sale of Fine Art Auckland
- The Church Hahei
- Onehunga Community Centre Auckland
I have been painting and drawing portraits for as long as I can remember. After an extensive career in Graphic Design my interest in portraiture eventually became a vocation and I worked for many years specialising in portraits of children. Now including adults too, I find it especially rewarding to bring a person’s best qualities and those significant years of a life lived into the work. My portraits have been included in many exhibitions and I have been a finalist in the Adams Portraiture Awards on three occasions.
Living on the Coromandel Peninsula I am surrounded by beautiful scenery and beaches and can take advantage of the infinite inspiration on my doorstep. While continuing to undertake commission portraits I also paint and explore new ways of reflecting our coastal environment.
It is wonderful to see the huge diversity and increase in the use of pastel in recent years. There are so many different ways to apply pastel and it is an especially good medium for achieving the life-like detail that I strive for in portraits and much of my work. I conduct pastel workshops for people wishing to learn the technique of pastel layering and how to achieve different results with the many pastel papers available. I am available to travel to your location for groups of five or more people for a pastel workshop.
I am a member of PANZ (Pastel Artists of New Zealand) and a long-time member of the Mercury Bay Art Escape group. If you are travelling to the Coromandel area I would be delighted to meet you and share with you my current projects. See the Contact page for details to arrange a visit to Art Loft Studio, or to enquire about a painting, a portrait commission or a pastel workshop.