The Oxford dictionary defines a loft as traditionally an attic or room over a stable. Art Loft Studio is a small building which sits firmly on the ground and is situated in paradise. It was a haven for another artist before me and was moved to its current location where it now serves as a studio and gallery to welcome visitors.
- Mercury Bay Art Escape Coromandel Peninsula 2011 – 2021
- Artists Choice Award, Mercury Bay Art Escape 2021
- Adams Awards Finalist, New Zealand Portrait Gallery 2010, 2012, 2018
- National PANZ Exhibition Stratford March 2019
- National PANZ Exhibition Morrinsville 2018
- National PANZ Exhibition Mapua 2016
- National PANZ Exhibition Auckland 2013
- Auckland East Arts Society – Doreen Bawden Portrait Award 2005
- Fishers Fine Arts Auckland 2004
- Upstairs Gallery of Fine Arts Whitianga
- Signal Gallery Waitakere, Auckland
- Mairangi Bay Arts Centre Auckland
- Kings College Sale of Fine Art Auckland
- The Church Hahei
- Onehunga Community Centre Auckland
I have been painting and drawing portraits for as long as I can remember. After an extensive career in Graphic Design my interest in portraiture eventually became a vocation and I worked for many years specialising in portraits of children. Now including adults too, I find it especially rewarding to bring a person’s best qualities and significant years of a life lived into the work. My portraits have been included in many exhibitions and I have been a finalist in the Adams Portraiture Awards on three occasions.
While continuing to undertake commission portraits I also paint and explore new ways of reflecting our coastal environment. Living on the Coromandel Peninsula I am surrounded by beautiful scenery and beaches and have the advantage of infinite inspiration on my doorstep. I love to discover the beautiful colours, textures and harmony in the designs that nature has created, and then the challenge of finding the best way to share this in my painting.
It is wonderful to see the increase in popularity and diversity of the use of pastel in recent years. It is an especially good medium for achieving the life-like detail that I strive for in portraits and much of my work. I conduct pastel workshops for people wishing to learn the technique of pastel layering and how to achieve different results with the many pastel papers available. I am available to travel to your location for groups of five or more people for a pastel workshop.
I am a member of PANZ (Pastel Artists of New Zealand) and a long-time member of the Mercury Bay Art Escape group. If you are travelling to the Coromandel area I would be delighted to meet you and share my current projects. See the Contact page for details to arrange a visit to Art Loft Studio, or to enquire about a painting, a portrait commission or a pastel workshop.